Monday, November 2, 2020

Man of many talents

 Things are cooling off here in Southwest Nova Scotia.

The time also changed this past weekend.  

Something that drives me nuts!

But anyway, we had one last warm Sunday.

So I cleaned up my strawberry beds to put them to 

sleep for the winter. I also noticed that there was still some parsley, cilantro 




and green onions that had popped up in the warm temps we had.

I even found one last feed of beet greens.



In this neck of the woods, green onions, shallots, scallions
whatever you want to call them are used a bit differently 
than other places. 
We have a few local, ethnic dishes (rappie pie and chicken fricot)
that salted green onions are a staple.


All this is it's shallots and lots and lots of salt.


The shallots are chopped and then added to the bottle 
and salt is added and they keep forever.
It adds a lovely flavour to boiled chicken, stew meat
etc...but obviously don't put too much.

Please excuse this post, for some reason Blogger is adding empty
lines in some places and not in others.

Every year I have a hard time  making carrots germinate.
Well last year I found out  the trick and I had plenty of
carrots.  But I still get paranoid they won't come up
and I wayyyy over plant carrots.

So thanks to my cold cellar, hubby built,  I have plenty of room to
store them.  We are trying the dry method in shavings and Dave
has learned to can!  Oh my.  That's pretty much all I can say.

Well when I was campaigning I was too busy to can, plus the dog attack
left me without the use of my right hand for several weeksv
so Dave took up the slack.  
I think he likes it.  He's  made salsa, spaghetti sauce, 
pickled hot pepper, yellow beans and carrots, carrots and more
carrots!! He's also discovered pressure canning
which I'm too afraid to do.

And some of our carrots grew a bit.  That's Dave's size 12 sexy foot
you're staring at beside the carrot.


We planted regular carrots and rainbow carrots, so it makes 
lovely jars.

Saturday was a bit chilly, but I bundled up and planted tulips
while Dave planted the garlic.
I also made him his favourite.


Butter pecan tarts.
I have to spoil him somehow.

Have a Blessed Day











2 comments:

  1. We love to eat the beet greens.....sauteed in bacon grease w/onions. I may have to try your salted onions, it sounds interesting, and we LOVE onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love garden carrots especially the yellow ones! Yeah for a canning husband!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from everyone! Please leave a comment even if it's just to say hello!