I'm hoping for the latter.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015
It's been awhile.
Everyday I think,
"I'm going to blog today."
Then it's bedtime and I think
"Crap. I didn't blog."
Or I'm in no mood to blog. Things have happened during the day and the mood has passed.
I need to be in the mood to write, probably like any other writer.
So I'm in the mood to write so you might find several posts in the next few days to bring ya'll up to speed on what's been happening.
First things first.
Everyone is pretty ok on the farm.
In my opinion I have too many chickens at the moment. I'm getting too many eggs and for some reason no market for them.
We sent one of the wethers to freezer camp. That's what we have them for, but it's still hard to do. Jamie keeps telling me that I have to toughen up (strange, this coming from a kid). But my heart is tender when it comes to animals. I keep saying that I could become a vegetarian.
That's kinda hard in a family of meatatarians.
We're keeping the other wether for a bit longer. But he's got to go soon.
The twins, Kevin and Stuart were doing well and fitting in well, when Kevin got sick.
It started with a lung infection that would not go away. When it finally went away he started with skin infections. Contagious skin infections that should have gone away on its own.
But after months and months of treatment and it just kept getting worse. We had to make a decision.
He had to be put down. The vet thinks that because he was smaller than his brother, he might have had immunity issues to start off with. Then when he had a lung infection it was the last straw with his tiny ,immune system. With the vet's help, we even tried fixing him from the inside out. Trying to fix the underlying problem. But it didn't work. We think he was too far gone.
So Kevin is running in greener pastures at the moment.
While the vet was here one day for Kevin, I asked if he thought Peanut was ready to breed the girls because I found he wasn't looking too "bucky".
The vet said that I might have to look for plan "B" for this year.
We were devastated. And so was the rest of the goat community in the area that counts on our Alpine buck for breeding. We were all thinking that we were going to have to deal with airplane ears next spring (yes we are goat snobs).
Then I started counting the days. Maggie came in heat first. 21 days after, no heat!
A week later Azelle came into heat. 21 days later...no heat!!! And with Azelle this meant that she had completely healed from her difficult delivery.
So this means that we will have babies next spring with NO AIRPLANE EARS!!! Woohoo!!
I cannot wait to see what cute babies we'll have next year.
So I guess Peanut's looks are deceiving.
We're not sure about Cait yet. I haven't seen her come in heat. So I'm not sure if Peanut did his duty before I could even notice she was in heat. Or maybe she hasn't come in heat yet.
I'm hoping for the latter.
So that's the update for the farm.
Pretty boring stuff. But at least you're up to snuff on that.
Have a Blessed Evening