Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Dawdi Haus

Dave putting in the last screw in the veranda

You know when you're so tired, you can't think straight, yet you can't stop either? Well that's how I feel right now.

I am this close...(holding my thumb and index finger about half a millimeter apart) to going nuts, crazy, bonkers, loonie bin get the point.

This is the kitchenette

This weekend the Dawdi Haus was finished (well enough for him to move in). So all last week we have been packing, and packing and packing and then yesterday (Saturday) while I was all day at work, Dave and very nice friends helped us move all the stuff. Then the work really began. I got home from work (and it was a busy day and we were really short staffed) and I had so many boxes to unpack and put away before grandpa could go to bed.

The living room area

He was slightly confused and upset since he didn't really want to move in the first place. But it needed to be done. Dave couldn't keep running two households. He was getting stressed out and burnt out. So the choices were either move in with us or go to an elder's home. So here we are!

The Dawdi Haus, like the Amish call it.

But all that being said, my house, the living room especially, looks like a bomb blew up, or a tornado hit it. I'd say an F4 tornado. It's so bad, I don't even want to take a picture. That bad. I can't stand having my house in such a disarray. I mean, don't get me wrong, my house is not always clean, ok, it's never clean....but it's never this bad. This is the part that is stressing me out the most!

J.'s room needs to be completely emptied, cleaned and painted. The living room needs to have the new mouldings put in, the walls resanded, then washed and then painted. I just painted the entire room a few months ago!! I hate painting. Like I tell people, I'm a paint expert, I'm not a painting expert. When we started the addition I didn't think it would affect the rest of the house.Boy was I wrong.

On top of everything, I'm supposed to be making soap this last week, I need to restock. This coming Thursday I've been invited to speak to a lady's group and bring some soap to sell. I'm hoping I've got enough stock for that night, plus, I need to print more labels and finish my speech. But my problem is that Microsoft Works is holding all my stuff hostage! I can't access it. ACK!!! So tomorrow I have to get on the horn and call my computer dude.


But after all this...there is a little ray of sunshine...called Simone. Dave's dad wanted a dog when he moved in. Really he wanted a Beagle puppy. So we convinced him to get a retired mini dacshund. She's a retired breeder. We just got her today and she's a sweetie. She cuddles everyone.

Ok, I have more to say, but I'll wait for another post. My thinking capabilities are gone.

Have a Blessed Evening.


  1. Oh my, you have a lot on your plate! I love the doggy, so sweet.

  2. I hope your dad settles into his new place. And bless you for taking care of him. I'm sure it's not going to be easy, or stress-free, but I can't imagine what a "retirement" home would be like.....actually, I can...seen too many of them. Oh, and what a CUTE weiner dog!!

  3. Glad he is all in before winter! Life will surely find a comfortable rhythm soon. Cute little pup.


We love hearing from everyone! Please leave a comment even if it's just to say hello!