Sunday, January 16, 2022

Big Garbage Day

 


I'm becoming crafty.

That is a sentence I never thought I'd write.

This fall Dave and I went on our first garbage pick.

About an hour and a bit from here is another 
Acadian community is what  everyone calls Par-En-Bas.  

A dear friend of mine Alice lives there.
She told me last year that they have what they call
Big garbage day.  One in the fall and one in the spring.
They can put anything at the end of the road for the garbage people to 
bring to the dump.  But even though it's just one day (usually Saturday)
people start putting their stuff at the road on the Wednesday.
This way people can go and check out the garbage  treasures at
the end of the driveways. 

 So being ever so adventurous, 
I told Dave we're going this year!
And we went. 
 I actually took a day off work for this since
Friday is the best pick day.
But I felt so weird picking through people's garbage.
After a few places you get over it.

I think it's a great way to stop stuff from going in the landfills.
I mean what they say is true, 
"One man's garbage is another man's treasure"
Except insert woman instead of man.

Dave wondered if we should bring the truck or SUV.  
We figured it would be better to bring the SUV, less chance of bringing home too much stuff!  And we were correct.  

Holy cow! We came back with so much stuff from a new 
vinyl window for the chicken coop Dave is building to 
flower pots, vintage suitcases (that I will use to plant flowers in)
Old, old frames that yes, I do have a plan for.  
A rocking horse that will be used as garden décor. 
And many, many other things.

I have already begun repurposing a few things.
And it's so much fun!
Here's a few of the things we picked up. 

Window that Dave has used for the new coop
And a nice flower pot and windchimes


Plant stand
Plant stand



Old suitcase to be used as a planter

Nice pot and frames underneath

Rocking horse


Medicine cabinet BEFORE


Medicine cabinet AFTER!

The medicine cabinet is in le Poulailler holding my
teas and tea accessories!

See I can be crafty when I put my mind to it. 
So needless to say, we shall
be at the spring big garbage day...I mean
the day before! 

Have a Blessed Day.
Lisa





1 comment:

We love hearing from everyone! Please leave a comment even if it's just to say hello!