Thursday, December 29, 2011

The chicken rescue!

There is never a dull moment here, and the holidays are no exception. Just because it's Christmas or Boxing day doesn't mean things stop on the farm. And guess what....animals don't realize that it's a holiday either. Go figure?!

Boxing day was really nice out. It actually snowed here for Christmas. So Boxing Day showed up nice, warm, sunny and white! I was on my way back from the green bin when I heard a noise from the big wood pile.

I thought, "no way. It can't be a chicken. I haven't let the chickens loose in a week!" But it sounded like one of my hens.

I started looking around and sure enough, there stuck in the wood pile was a chicken! For Pete's Sake!

I told Dave "You've got to go rescue that hen! We need that hen! The way Tundra's been eating them everyone of them counts!"


Dave and his camera thingie, notice the amount of logs on top

So I remind him of the wonderful gift he bought himself a few months ago for Christmas. It was the perfect opportunity to use it. It's one of those little cameras on the end of a pipe thingie and it's even got a colour monitor thingie that you can watch. (I'm not electronically minded, ok?!)


We finally located the hen with Dave's camera thingie. That meant that Dave (my hero) had to move lots and lots of logs to get to the hen. Hubby was not impressed.

After what seemed like a lifetime, but I imagine was only 30 minutes he got a hold of her legs. There was one log left, but he couldn't move it without the tractor, and if he did move it, it would have squashed the hen. So ever so gently he started tugging on the hen because she was kinda wedged in those logs. Now I say gently, but those of you who have a hubby probably know that it wasn't too gently.


Tugging and pulling "gently", notice the logs all moved!

Finally out pops the hen! I was so happy! The hen was happy too. She didn't seem any worse for wear. My hero!

This photo says it all! You can all imagine what Dave said while holding the hen in this picture....



Friggen chicken!

And how was your Christmas!
Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Funny, but not funny. Poor thing ... um, I mean the hen.
    Colette T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth did that hen get under there???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never a dull moment on the farm! :) Glad the hen was rescued! Thanks for visiting, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from everyone! Please leave a comment even if it's just to say hello!