Monday, January 14, 2013

Cranberry Almond Biscotti

I know, I'm weird.  I'm one of those people that will hate a certain food for the longest time or just eat my food a certain way and I will NOT divert from it.  Like...I don't let my food touch. 

 Another quirk is that YOU DO NOT DUNK ANYTHING IN LIQUIDS!!! You must keep the cookie, biscuit etc...crisp, not soggy.  It's almost sacrilegious to do otherwise.  Kinda like cereal. You leave the milk pouring to the last minute. 

Ok, so where was I going with this.... Oh yeah

One day I decided that maybe, just maybe...these strange hard-as-a-rock cookies would be okay to try. Well guess what!!! I loved them!! I even dunked them in my coffee!!! Whoa.  

So anyhoo...I've found an excellent recipe for some.  It's also very easy to make.  I was impressed.  I was going to blog about them yesterday but I figured that I should maybe try them first.
So today I tried them out at my break.  Well I must say...they were delish! Sogginess and all!
So here's the recipe.


Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg whites
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or almond extract)
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup sweetened - dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites and extract ( I used almond extract) and vanilla in a separate mixing bowl.
Add egg mixture to dry ingredients mixing until just moist using a mixer on medium speed. Add cranberries and almonds, mix thoroughly.

Looks like cereal!

On floured surface divide batter in half into a log approx 14 inches long and 1.5 inches thick.


 Place on cookie sheet (It doesn't say greased or not, but I say greased) and bake 30 minutes or until firm.

  
When you can handle the biscotti cut into 1/2 " slices.


Cool on wire rack.




Reduce oven to 300 degree.  Place cut and cooled biscotti on cookie sheet and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Let cool and store in a loosely covered container.




Voilá!!! And there you have biscotti!
Hmmm...maybe I should change this to a recipe blog.
On another completely different subject...I'm going to have to add an encrytpo thingie since I've been getting an extreme amount of spam.
I really hate those things, but I hope it's not going to stop everyone from commenting.

Have a Blessed Evening
Lisa

2 comments:

We love hearing from everyone! Please leave a comment even if it's just to say hello!